Dr. Sean A. Sutphen Board Certified Orthopedic SurgeonHip & Knee Replacement Specialist
Dr. Sean Sutphen is a board-certified fellowship-trained orthopaedic surgeon specializing in rapid recovery hip and knee replacement and complex reconstruction surgery. Through his extensive training and experience, he has developed an expertise in minimally invasive joint replacement surgeries including anterior and mini-posterior approach hip replacement, robotic-assisted partial knee replacement, and robotic-assisted total knee replacement. He has a particular interest in robotic-assisted joint replacement and outpatient joint replacement with rapid rehabilitation protocols for faster recovery after surgery. Dr. Sutphen also treats patients who require revision hip or knee replacements and those who have had a previous surgery or deformity requiring complex joint replacement surgery.
Dr. Sutphen’s approach to caring for patients with disorders of the hip and knee involves personalized treatments, both operative and non-operative, that are supported by the latest evidence. He believes shared decision-making with his patients is the best way to provide care that is individualized, compassionate, and most likely to achieve their goals. Dr. Sutphen takes great pride in treating each patient as if they were a member of his own family. He has devoted his career to leading patients back to their active lifestyles through evidence-based treatments and meticulous surgical technique.
A native of Columbus, Ohio, Dr. Sutphen received his undergraduate degree from Miami University, where he completed his pre-medical studies and was a member of the ice hockey team. He received his medical degree from Lake Erie College of Medicine and then completed his residency in Orthopaedic Surgery at Ohio University in Columbus, Ohio, where he served as chief resident. Dr. Sutphen went on to complete a prestigious fellowship in Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement at the world-renowned Hospital for Special Surgery (number one orthopaedic hospital in the country as ranked by US News and World Report) at Cornell University Medical College in New York City.
He is dedicated to the orthopaedic field of adult reconstruction and joint replacement as he has published numerous peer-reviewed articles and has given several presentations on the national and international level. He serves as a reviewer for the Journal of Arthroplasty. Dr. Sutphen is a member of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons. Dr. Sutphen lives in the northern suburbs of Chicago with his wife Ashley and their three children, Libby, Kate, and Jack.
Philosophy of Care
Every day it is my responsibility to provide the highest standard of orthopedic care and personal attention to each and every patient. I emphasize a whole-person approach to treatment and care. With advanced training in minimally invasive surgical techniques and rapid recovery joint replacement, I strive to help my patients return to the activities they enjoy as quickly as possible.
Lake Erie College Of Medicine
- Adult Reconstruction and Joint Replacement
- Hospital for Special Surgery/Weill Cornell Medical
- Sutphen S, Ranawat AS. Biomechanical Assessment of a Novel Posterior Soft Tissue Repair Technique in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. Orthopaedic Proceedings. 2018 Oct 16; Vol. 100-B, No. SUPP_13.
- Johnson D, Sutphen S, Triplet J, Taylor B, Wasielewski R. Findings in Non-Recalled Metal-on-Metal Total Hip Arthroplasty Patients. EC Orthopaedics. 10.11(2019): 43-51.
- McGowan S, Myers D, Taylor B, Madsen A, Sutphen S, Galos D, Mehta S. Difficulty of Total Hip Arthroplasty Following Open Reduction and Internal Fixation of an Acetabulum Fracture. Journal of Long-Term Effects of Medical Implants. 29(3): 247-254 (2019).
- Sutphen S , Lipman J, Jerabek S, Mayman D, Esposito C. Treatment of Recurrent Dislocation after Total Hip Arthroplasty Using Advanced Imaging and Three-Dimensional Modeling Techniques: A Case Series. HSS J. July 2019.
- Sutphen S, Berend KR, Morris MJ, Lombardi AV. The Direct Anterior Approach has a Lower Rate of Deep Infection than the Limited Incision Direct Lateral Approach in Primary Total Hip Arthroplasty. J Surg Orthop Adv. Spring 2018;27(1):21-24.
- Prissel MA, Simpson GA, Sutphen S, Hyer CF, Berlet GC. Ankle Arthrodesis: A Retrospective Review Comparing Single Column, Locked Anterior Plating to Crossed Lag Screw Technique. J Foot Ankle Surg. 2017 May – Jun;56(3):453-456.
- Sutphen S, Adams JB, Lombardi AV. Failed Modular Neck Stems: Tip and Tricks. J Arthroplasty, 2016 Jul;31(7):1390-4.
- Sutphen S, Mendoza J, Mundy AC, Yang G, Beebe A, Klingele KE. Pediatric Diaphyseal Femur Fractures: A Comparison of Outcomes after Submuscular Plating, Flexible Intramedullary Nailing, and Rigid Intramedullary Nailing. Orthopedics. 2016 Nov 1;39(6):353-358.
- Sutphen S, Beebe A, Klingele KE. Bridge Plating Length-Unstable Femoral Shaft Fractures. J Pediatr Orthop. 2016 Jun; 36 Suppl 1:S29-34.
- Sutphen S, MacLaughlin L, Madsen A, Russell J, McShane MA. Prevalence of Pseudotumor in Patients after Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty Evaluated with Metal Ion Analysis and MARS-MRI. J Arthroplasty. 2016 Jan; 31(1): 260-3.
- Ng VY, Arnott L, Li J, Hopkins R, Lewis J, Sutphen S, Nicholson L, Reader D, McShane MA. Comparison of Custom to Standard TKA Instrumentation with Computed Tomography. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2014 Aug; 22(8): 1833-42.
- Sutphen S, Murakami JW. Radiofrequency ablation of a cervical osteoid osteoma: a trans-thyroid approach. Pediatric Radiology. 2007, 3 (1): 83-85.
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Academic Excellence Scholarship, 2009-2012
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Surgery Club Executive Board, 2008-2010
- Sigma Sigma Phi Medical Honors Society, 2009
- TOUCH Pin Award Recipient, 2011
- Lake Erie College of Medicine Surgery Discipline Award, 2012
- Ohio University Advanced Anatomical Services Master of Dissection Award, 2013
- First Place Poster: OhioHealth Research Symposium; Columbus, OH, 2015
- Second Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO, 2015
- Third Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Colorado Springs, CO, 2015
- First Place Podium: OhioHealth Research Symposium; Columbus, OH, 2016
- Orthopedics Blue Ribbon Award Winning Paper, 2016
- Chief Resident, Ohio University Orthopaedic Surgery Residency; Columbus, OH, 2016
- Second Place Research Paper: AOAO Annual Meeting; Chicago, IL, 2017
- Minimally Invasive Total Hip Replacement
- Direct Anterior Total Hip Replacement
- Revision/Failed Hip Replacement
- Outpatient Total Hip Replacement
- Robotic-Assisted Hip Replacement
- Hip injection
Bannockburn Physician Offices
2101 Waukegan Road
Bannockburn, IL 60015
Glenview Physician Offices
2401 Ravine Way
Glenview, IL 60025
Highland Park Physician Offices
1919 Skokie Valley Rd
Highland Park, IL 60035